The application is open year-round and reviewed on a rolling basis
The Junior Academy – The New York Academy of Science
Ten-week challenges begin in October and February and are preceded by four-week bootcamps. Bootcamps provide opportunities for students to build relevant skills in advance of a challenge. During this time, STEM experts may choose to help lead learning activities, including lectures on challenge-related topics, lessons on research methods and design thinking, and team-building exercises.
STEM experts can engage with The Junior Academy community in a number of ways. During challenge periods, STEM experts can choose to engage in two ways. First, experts can become mentors by working with one or more teams for the duration of the challenge, guiding them through the process, and providing in-depth feedback and individualized support. Second, experts can make themselves available to all challenge participants by answering questions and providing expert feedback upon request.
Opportunity Focus Areas:
ALL WORLD COUNTRIES
- All experts accepted to the program will be asked to complete a 1–2hour training.
- Once a challenge begins, experts should generally expect to spend 1–2 hours per week answering student questions and providing input on student projects. The timing of this is flexible based on your schedule.
- Experts who choose to mentor a team should expect to dedicate up to 4 hours per week during the challenge period. The scheduling of this may be less flexible depending on the availability of your team.
- Throughout the year, they may ask experts to participate in focus groups and surveys. These are optional, and can range from a few minutes to a couple of hours. All mentors are required to attend a final debrief session at the end of a challenge.
- Graduate students, postdocs, or professionals working in a STEM-related field.
- Able to access at least one communication device with internet capabilities.
- Passionate about engaging and inspiring the next generation of STEM innovators.
- Able to communicate clearly in spoken and written English.
- Experienced in conducting original scientific research (preferred but not required).
- This program is free because the New York Academy of Sciences believes in the expanded involvement of girls and women in STEM.
- Accepted mentors in our programs receive one year of free Academy Membership for their contributions to the Academy’s mission of advancing scientific research, education and policy.
First Step: Complete and submit your online application form from here.
- If you already have a SurveyMonkeyApply account, login at the top of the screen, then click the “Apply” button to begin your application.
- If you don’t have an account yet, click the “Register” button, create your account, and then proceed with your application.
Know more about this opportunity:
To learn how to write CV, Essays, Personal statement, and know about recommendation letters click here:
Marj3 recommended links
This Scholarship Published by:
” Ahd Ezzat / Egypt “
Reviewed by” Naira Samir / Egypt ”
MARJ3 Scholarships team