15th January 2018; 00:00 am (UTC +00:00)
7th Advanced Architecture Contest Opportunity, on the Theme of ‘Responsive Cities’
The Institute for Advanced Architecture of Catalonia is pleased to announce the 7th Advanced Architecture Contest, on the theme of RESPONSIVE CITY.
The programme challenges the participants to design any project directly related to responsive cities: buildings, sensors, devices, urban planning, means of transportation, urban farming, energy systems, etc.
Rapidly changing conditions deriving from continuous mutations in social structure, forms of interaction, climate behavior and economic conditions are today requiring to design cities that can rapidly adapt and reconfigure themselves.
New tools and processes such as computational design, digital fabrication, virtual and augmented reality, artificial intelligence and synthetic biology, among others, are giving us the chance to re-design cities in such way that they can respond to users needs adapting to changes.
Cities can transform themselves into evolutionary organisms, able to react in real time, questioning the solid principles of durability, stability or longevity.
The aim of the competition is to promote discussion and research through which to generate insights and visions, ideas and proposals that help us envisage what the city and the habitat of the 21st century will be like.
The 7th Advanced Architecture Contest is one of the main activities carried out under the Knowledge Alliance for Advanced Urbanism – KAAU (www.ka-au.net) project, co-finded by the Erasmus+ Programme of the European Union.
The competition is open to architects, engineers, planners and designers who want to contribute to progress in making the world more habitable by developing a proposal capable of responding to emerging challenges in areas such as ecology, information technology, architecture, and responsive cities.
Prize (Total value: 62.250 EUR) will be distributed at the discretion of the Juries following the bases scheme. The competition jury, which is composed of architects, professionals in a wide range of fields and directors of some of the world’s foremost architecture schools, is looking for outstanding proposals at any scale, for any city in the world on Smart Cities, Eco neighborhoods, Self-sufficient buildings, Intelligent homes, FabLabs, Urban farming or any other proposal that analyzes the phenomena of the Responsive City.
* The Registration is FREE, * No fee or other payment will be required of those entering the competition and the competition entries should be submitted digitally in PDF files via the Internet.
Selection of projects by the Jury: February March 2018
Announcement of results: Saturday 20th March 2018
EGYPT, SYRIA, IRAQ, PALESTINE, JORDAN, LEBANON, TUNISIA, ALGERIA, MOROCCO, SUDAN, LIBYA, SAUDI ARABIA, EMIRATES, KUWAIT, QATAR, BAHRAIN, OMAN, YEMEN, SOMALIA, DJIBOUTI, MAURITANIA, TURKEY, IRAN, CYPRUS, COMOROS,
OTHER COUNTRIES ARE NOT FROM THE MIDDLE EAST AND NORTH AFRICA, ALL WORLD COUNTRIES.
Eligibility Requirements (Criteria)
Eligibility Requirements (Criteria)
- The competition is opened to students and professionals.
- There is no age limit; the projects may be carried out be individually or in groups, with no restriction on the number of members of the team.
Restrictions:The following will not be eligible to take part in the competition:
- Any individual or organization related to the promoting organization, such as members of the advisory committee or sponsored researchers, and anyone professionally associated with the promoter;
- Members of the Competition Jury and organizing Staff, or any person to whom a member of the jury acts as director, supervisor or adviser;
- Any person directly or indirectly involved in the summary of the Competition.
The three teams leaders will receive cash prizes, and a one-year grant to take the Master in Advanced Architecture at IAAC and research in greater depth the manufacture of self-sufficient architecture
All of the projects selected will be featured in a special book produced in conjunction with the Actar-Birkhauser publishing house like in the four previous editions.
- 1st Prize: 3,000 € + Master in Advanced Architecture (value 18.750,00 €) + 2 days trip for 1 person (team leader) to the Lively Architecture Festival in Montpellier (600,00€ grant)
- 2nd Prize: 2,000 € + Master in Advanced Architecture (value 18.750,00 €) + 2 days trip for 1 person (team leader) to the Lively Architecture Festival in Montpellier (600,00€ grant)
- 3rd Prize: 1,000 € + Master in Advanced Architecture (value 18.750,00 €) + 2 days trip for 1 person (team leader) to the Lively Architecture Festival in Montpellier (600,00€ grant)
Exhibition and Book:
The selected projects will go on show in a major exhibition, due to open in Barcelona in June/July 2018.
The best projects will also be featured in a book to be published ACTAR publishing house like in the six previous editions:
- SELF-SUFFICIENT HOUSING
- SELF-FAB HOUSE
- SELF-SUFFICIENT CITY
- CITY SENSE
- SELF-SUFFICIENT HABITAT
- PRODUCTIVE CITY
How to Apply
How to Apply
Documents and Graphic Materials Required:
- Write a brief description (max 200 words) that outlines key concepts around proposals or changes for existing buildings and/or cities.
- Graphic description: Site plans, floor plans, elevations, sections, perspective drawings, photographs of physical or digital models and axonometric drawings at any scale and descriptive texts explaining the project are allowed. The descriptive texts must be in English.
The proposals should be presented on three (3) DIN A-3 panels and comply with the following format:
- Each panel will be presented in PDF format. The size of each file must not exceed 1MB.
- The same panels will also be presented in a JPG format and maximum dimensions of 1920px by 1080px. The size of each file will not have to exceed 1MB.
- Video (optionary): You have the option to submit a 1 minute (maximum) video to explain in, a few words, the key concepts of your proposal. Please use English subtitles even if you are speaking English. (It is not mandatory to speak in the video, you may also use text, images, animation etc). To submit the video: First upload the video to YouTube, then login in to your competition profile page and paste the YouTube link to the video section of the submission.
- ID Code: The ID code will be automatically generated when you register. Place your ID code at the right bottom of each panel. If you are submitting a video do the same here.
The proposals must without exception be drafted in English.
Submission of Proposals:
It is allowed to upload your panels and edit them until January 16th 2018; 17:00 pm (UTC +00:00) at the competition web site.
Know more about this opportunity: Click Here
Marj3 recommended links
Marj3 recommended links
To learn how to write CV, Essays, Personal statement, and know about recommendation letters click here:
You can Now have consultancy about Scholarships for 1 hour online with consultant who has experience and got Scholarships and you can learn from him
Topics: *Finding & Applying for Scholarships, *Personal Statement & Essay Writing, *CV Writing
(Available for Egypt now and will be available for the All Mena region countries Soon)
This Scholarship Published by:
Reviewed by”Hager Ashour/Egypt – Ahmed ElGebaly/Egypt”
MARJ3 Scholarships team