30 September, 2018
Call for Applications for the Artist-in-Residence-Programme 2019
In co-operation with KulturKontakt Austria, the Austrian Federal Chancellery makes available 50 residencies in Austria (Vienna and Salzburg) for the year 2019.
The residency is designed to offer an opportunity to familiarise oneself with the Austrian art scene and cultural environment and to make contact with Austrian artists. Residents are expected to complete a project during their stay. In the field of cultural education, the stay is primarily designed to foster exchanges and networking and not the realisation of a project.
During their stay, the artists in residence will be made familiar with the art scene and cultural environment. Activities on offer include visits at galleries, studios and museums, contacts to the literature and publishing sector, as well as access to Vienna’s music life. Whenever possible, the residents will receive free tickets for art and book fairs, the international ImPuls Tanz dance festival and other events.
During their stay in Salzburg, the artists in residence will be taken care of by Kunstverein Salzburg. Residencies in Salzburg are only available for artists from the fields of the visual arts, artistic photography and media art.
There is the possibility of participating actively in the Artists-in-Residence-go-to-School-Programme of KulturKontakt Austria (the programme includes workshops at Austrian schools).
Opportunity Focus Areas:
– Visual arts *
– Art photography
– Media art **
– Composition (new music, electroacoustic music, experimental music)
– Literature for children and young people
– Literary translation
– Cultural education
* Applications from the sector of performing arts will not be accepted.
** For organisational reasons, the programme cannot accept applications from the film sector
English or German
A high level of proficiency in English or German is required in order to enable participants to engage in a creative dialogue in an international context.
ALL WORLD COUNTRIES except AUSTRIA
Length of stay varies as a function of the artistic discipline:
• Residency of 3 months for visual artists, art photographers, media artists,
• Residency of 1-2 months for writers and literary translators
• Residency of 1 month for arts and cultural educators
Eligibility Requirements (Criteria)
Eligibility Requirements (Criteria)
- This call is open to foreign artists whose permanent place of residence is outside of Austria and who have completed their training. Austrian citizens cannot apply for this programme.
- A high level of proficiency in English or German is required.
- The age limit for applicants is 40 years, i.e. the applicants’ date of birth has to be after December 31, 1978. If an application is submitted by a duo at least one of the artists has to be born after December 31, 1978, and the artistic career of both individuals must be presented.
- Artists who have already participated in artist-in-residence-programmes organised by KulturKontakt Austria, the Austrian Federal Chancellery or the Austrian Federal Ministry of Education, the Arts and Culture are not eligible for participation.
- The artists in residence will be selected by sector-specific expert juries.
- The Austrian Federal Chancellery makes available 50 residencies in Austria (Vienna and Salzburg) for the year 2019.
- Activities on offer include visits at galleries, studios and museums, contacts to the literature and publishing sector, as well as access to Vienna’s music life. Whenever possible, the residents will receive free tickets for art and book fairs, the international ImPuls Tanz dance festival and other events.
- There is the possibility of participating actively in the Artists-in-Residence-go-to-School-Programme of KulturKontakt Austria (the programme includes workshops at Austrian schools).
- Residencies are provided in Vienna (all disciplines) or Salzburg (only visual arts, photography, media arts). While requests for a specific place will be fulfilled subject to availability, this cannot be guaranteed.
- Accommodation subject to availability, either in an apartment at the Schloss Laudon Parkdependance (14th district), a room in a flat in Vienna’s 3rd or 9th district or an apartment at Salzburger Kunstverein in the City of Salzburg.
- Use of a community studio in Vienna’s 2nd district, at Schloss Laudon or at the Salzburger Kunstverein.
- Contribution to cost of living expenses of € 800 per month. In case of absence exceeding 7 days, a pro-rata share of cost-of-living expenses will be paid.
- One-time contribution to art supplies of € 300 for visual artists and composers.
- The costs of translation for one sample text (no more than 10 pages at 1800 characters each) from a foreign language into German for writers.
- Travel expenses as well as visa fees will not be paid nor refunded.
- Accident and health insurance will be provided; insurance cover excludes chronic disease and dental work.
- Each accommodation is provided with WLAN. Notebooks will not be provided.
- For the duration of the stay, a cell-phone with a one-time prepaid credit in the amount of € 40 will be made available to the residents.
- Residents will also receive monthly passes for public transport in Vienna or Salzburg for the duration of their stay.
- Regular cleaning service for the living quarters and change of bed-linen and towels will be provided weekly or monthly, according to the place.
- A presentation of works may be arranged towards the end of the residency (subject to confirmation).
- No financial support can be provided for the production of catalogues, translations, book releases and performances
- Residents may not bring other people (family members, friends, acquaintances, etc.) or pets to the residency. Only residents may spend the night at the accommodation.
How to Apply
How to Apply
First Step: Prepare an application portfolio with the following required documents:
1. completely filled-in online-forms,
2. portrait photograph (standard quality, e.g. passport picture),
3. CV and/or artistic career; in case of duo or group applications, the artistic career of all artists involved needs to be presented, as well as a documentation of the artistic co-operation of recent years.
4. In case of duo or group applications, each of the individuals needs to register and submit a complete application. The application needs to include a reference to the respective partner/s.
5. a motivation letter (no more than 1 page) specifying current artistic interests and projects,
6. a description of the project planned for the stay in Austria; projects with some reference to Austria will be appreciated (1 page max.),
7. one (1) letter of recommendation (e.g. from a university institution, an art college, a gallery or other institution related to art and culture etc.),
8. information about all previous residencies, study visits and traineeships in Austria within the last 5 years (not applicable if this residency would be the applicant’s first residency in Austria).
9. documentation of previous artistic work (portfolio), meaning a representative cross section of no more than 10 pages; in case of media artists: no more than one file with a max. presentation time of 10 min.
Second Step: Submit your application electronically via the online platform within the respective deadline.
Know more about this opportunity:
Marj3 recommended links
Marj3 recommended links
To learn how to write CV, Essays, Personal statement, and know about recommendation letters click here:
This Scholarship Published by:
” Muhammad Adel/ Egypt“
Reviewed by” Fatma Samy/ Egypt ”
MARJ3 Scholarships team