15 July 2020
PhD Student- Department of Environment
Ghent University is looking for an excellent PhD candidate to work on intra-seasonal wood formation (xylogenesis), leaf phenology (autumn senescence) and X-ray CT technology.
It is a full-time PhD position for a maximal period of 4 years (upon positive progress evaluation), between October 1st, 2020 and September 30th, 2024.
The Laboratory of Wood Technology, or short UGent-Woodlab is a research team of UGent, located at the Faculty of Bioscience Engineering. UGent-Woodlab aims at an integrated strategy for the forestry-wood chain to contribute to the bio-economy.
- The first two years, your task will be to develop suitable protocols for sample preparation, sample staining as well as software development, for automated X-ray CT scanning and analysis in function of wood formation.
- The last two years, you will apply the new method to study the relationship between wood formation and autumn leaf phenology across various European sites. Research stays abroad in partner institutes (WSL, Switzerland, and SFI, Slovenia) are foreseen.
Opportunity Focus Areas:
ALL WORLD COUNTRIES
You will be hired by UGent-Woodlab (the first two years) and by UAntwerpen-PLECO (the last two years).
- You have a master degree in (Bio-) Science/Engineering.
- You have a strong interest in wood formation, leaf phenology and X-ray CT scanning.
- You are interested in and motivated by the research topic.
- You have excellent analytical skills.
- You speak and write English fluently.
- You have good communication skills.
- You have an open mind and a multi-disciplinary attitude.
- You have an interest in working with or knowledge and experience on tree-ring analysis, wood formation,phenology, data analysis and / or non-destructive imaging.
- You have experience with hands-on lab work.
- ICT / programming skills (Python / R) are required.
Depending on your staff employment category, different regulations covering salary, holiday pay, bonuses and insurance packages apply.
Information for university payroll staff
- Salaries are paid on the last working day on the month, forwarded to the next business day if this day is falls on the weekend or a bank holiday. Your bank details are needed for payment, and delays or additional expenses may apply for foreign transfers.
- Bonus amounts depend on your pay grade and employment rate. Holiday pay for staff can amount to 92% of the employee’s gross salary (based on April or June). End-of-year bonuses usually amount to between 53% and 70% of the November salary. Postdoctoral scholarship recipients don’t receive an end-of-year bonus.
For more information click here.
First Step: Applications must contain the following documents (in English):
- Short personal motivation letter mainly elaborating on your interest and experience in the specific domains mentioned above.
- Scientific resume and diplomas.
- Detailed academic results (courses and grades).
- Relevant publications if any.
- Two reference contacts.
Second Step: The documents should be sent to
- prof. dr. ir. Jan Van den Bulcke ([email protected]) and prof. dr. ir. Matteo Campioli ([email protected]), before the 15th of July, 2020.
- The subject of your e-mail should be CTwood_family name_first name.
Third Step:After the first screening, suitable candidates will be invited for an interview (also possible via Skype or MS Teams).
Know more about this opportunity:
To learn how to write CV, Essays, Personal statement, and know about recommendation letters click here:
Marj3 recommended links
This Scholarship Published by:
“Habiba Ashraf/ Egypt“
“Iman Abdulmonim/ Egypt“
MARJ3 Scholarship Team