13 May 2020
United Kingdom (UK)
PhD Studentship in Biosciences: Studying glycan acquisition by keystone members of the human microbiota
Do you want to work in one of the hottest fields in microbiology and are you interested in how our gut microbiota functions and contributes to human health? This project will advance our understanding how keystone Gram-negative members of the human microbiota acquire nutrients derived from dietary fibre (glycans).
Members of the phylum Bacteroidetes are highly abundant in the human gut and play a key role in the utilization of dietary fibre from our diet, thereby conferring various health benefits. Dietary glycans are taken up via highly specialized machines on the cell surface that function as nano scale processing plants for glycans. In this project you will determine the structure and function of these machines.
Opportunity Focus Areas:
ALL WORLD COUNTRIES.
Starting in 28 September 2020.
- You must have, or expect to achieve, at least a 2:1 Honours degree in biomedicine, biochemistry, microbiology or a related area. A further qualification such as an MSc or MRes is advantageous.
- This award is available to UK/EU and international applicants.
- To study this course you need to meet the following English Language requirements: IELTS 6.5 overall (with a minimum of 5.5 in all other sub-skills).
- 100% of UK/EU tuition fees paid.
- Annual living expenses of £15,285.
Note: Successful international candidates will be required to make up the difference between the UK/EU fees and international fees.
First Step: Create an account from here to start filling the application.
Second Step: You will need to include the following information:
- Insert the programme code 8300F* in the programme of study section.
- Select ”PhD in the Faculty of Medical Sciences – Biosciences” as the programme of study.
- Insert the studentship code BI021 in the studentship/partnership reference field.
- Attach a covering letter and CV. The covering letter must state the title of the studentship, quote the studentship reference code BI021 and state how your interests and experience relate to the project.
- Attach degree transcripts and certificates.
- A copy of your English language qualifications.
Know more about this opportunity:
To learn how to write CV, Essays, Personal statement, and know about recommendation letters click here:
Marj3 recommended links
This Scholarship Published by:
“Nada Samir/ Egypt“
Reviewed by” Gehad Elazab / Egypt ”
MARJ3 Scholarships Team