11 September 2019.
North Africa-China Journalism Training Workshop in Tunis
The Africa-China Reporting Project at Wits Journalism and Inkyfada based in Tunis invite all journalists from Tunisia, Morocco, Algeria and Libya to submit proposals to attend a journalism training workshop in Tunis during the week of 7 October 2019. The workshop will focus on practical investigative techniques and skills, as well as explore China’s role in Africa and specific North African countries.
The workshop will feature expert trainers assembled by the Africa-China Reporting Project and Inkyfada, and will include training sessions on North African countries’ relations with China, current trends and misunderstandings; multimedia journalism, online tools and resources; data journalism and data visualisation, visual storytelling and audience engagement; and cyber security, among other topics. The workshop will also include engagement with and supervision of specific China-North Africa investigations to be undertaken by the participating journalists after the workshop for which they will receive reporting grants.
Opportunity Focus Areas:
English Or Arabic.
TUNISIA, ALGERIA, MOROCCO, LIBYA
Attend a journalism training workshop in Tunisia during the week of 7 October 2019.
- Proposals will only be accepted in MS Word or PDF formats.
- Journalists are required to include a specific North Africa-China investigation in their applications.
- Proposals should be clearly structured, stating briefly at the outset what the story idea is, followed by how and where the story will be researched and what it aims to reveal or contribute to the Africa-China debate.
- Proposals will be reviewed by the review committee at the Wits Journalism Department, which will have sole and final discretion on the grants as well as the criteria used and any conditions attached to them.
- Where possible journalists should identify individuals or communities through which to tell the story. While desk research is important, we encourage journalists to look for on-the-ground impact and perspectives.
- The reporting project should be completed and published within three months of the receipt of the grant funding unless otherwise agreed.
- It is the responsibility of journalists to ensure that the work is published and that acknowledgment is provided to the Wits Africa-China Reporting Project as provider of the grant.
- Successful applicants will be expected to supply a copy of their passport and stamped banking details.
- On completion of the reporting project grant recipients will be required to supply electronic copies of all material produced as a result of the grant.
- Wits Journalism will accept no responsibility for the work produced or the conduct of the grantee, but retains the right to use any material published as a result of a grant for publicity and promotional purposes although it will at all times provide due accreditation to the journalist.
- The Wits Africa-China Reporting Project reserves the right to review and edit copy before it goes to print.
- The grants are intended to provide funding for travel, accommodation and sundry daily expenses, but not car hire, purchase of equipment or professional fees, or to buy publication space.
- Grants are generally between $300 and $1,500.
- Grant recipients will be paid 80% of the grant total at the outset, and the remaining 20% when (and if) the feature is published on a news media platform/publication (blog publication will not be sufficient).
- Successful grant recipients will be required to sign an agreement which outlines the terms of the reporting project and agreed budget.
First Step: Applications must be sent to [email protected] by September 11 2019, and should contain the following (only documents in PDF format will be accepted):
- Applicant CV.
- Brief proposal outlining (a) story to be investigated with clear headline; story relevance, significance and expected outcomes, (b) proposed publication/platform, and (c) itemised budget for reporting investigation totalling no more than US$1,500.
- List of previously published reporting .
Know more about this opportunity:
To learn how to write CV, Essays, Personal statement, and know about recommendation letters click here:
Marj3 recommended links
This Scholarship Published by:
” Mohamed Magdi Eweda / Egypt “
Reviewed by” Hanine Aymen/ Egypt ”
MARJ3 Scholarships team