31 January 2019.
CERN openlab Summer Student Programme – CERN
The Summer Student Programme is more than summer work. It’s the chance to join CERN in Geneva – getting involved in the day-to-day work of their multicultural teams. You will be able to work on an advanced IT project, attend lectures, visit CERN facilities, take part in discussions and workshops with people who are leaders in their fields. In fact, it will be a summer like nowhere else on Earth!
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world’s largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter – fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature.
Opportunity Focus Areas:
- Computer Science:
Library and information science.
- Knowledge of French would be an advantage.
ALL WORLD COUNTRIES.
- You are a Bachelor or Master student (not PhD) with a strong computing profile and will have completed, by summer 2019, at least three years of full-time studies at university level.
- You will remain registered as a student during your stay at CERN. If you expect to graduate during European summer 2019 (as of May), you are also eligible to apply.
- You have not worked at CERN before with any other status (Technical Student, Trainee, User or other status) for more than 3 months.
- You have a good knowledge of English; knowledge of French would be an advantage.
- Candidates of all nationalities are welcome to apply for this Summer Student Programme.
CERN will provide you with:
- A 90 CHF (Swiss Franc) per calendar day (net of tax) subsistence allowance to cover the cost of accommodation and meals in the Geneva area for a single person for the whole contract duration.
- A travel allowance on a lump sum basis paid at the end of your stay to help you with the cost of travel between Geneva and your residence at the time of the selection committee.
- Coverage by CERN’s comprehensive Health Insurance scheme (contribution already deducted from allowance).
- Assistance to find accommodation on the CERN site or nearby.
First Step: Filling the application form
you will be asked to provide:
- Personal information.
- A CV in either English or French.
- A copy of your most recent academic transcript giving an overview of your marks (if you download it from your university portal please make sure the document is not protected so that they can open it).
- At least one reference letter (dated less than 12 months), preferably 2, from your lecturers.
- A motivation letter.
Second Step: Submitting the application and recommendation letter
Once your application has been submitted, you will receive a confirmation e-mail which contains a link. If you have not yet uploaded your reference letters when applying, you should forward this link to at least one referee, so that they can upload their recommendation letter. Please note that this must be done before the application deadline (31 January 2019).
Third Step: Results
Candidates who meet the eligibility criteria and have completed their application before the deadline will pass to the next step of the selection process. The final results of the selection procedure will be communicated to candidates by mid-April 2019.
- Ensure your CV is complete with all skills and experience that make you stand out as a candidate.
- Be as clear and specific as possible in the application fields “Education” and “Experience” in order to increase your chances of being selected. Also include in this section all the specific skills (e.g. programming languages, hardware, databases etc.) that you have acquired that will support your application.
- And last but not least, make good use of the ‘Motivation’ section to tell them why you’re a great candidate for CERN!
Know more about this opportunity:
To learn how to write CV, Essays, Personal statement, and know about recommendation letters click here:
Marj3 recommended links
This Scholarship Published by:
” Sohair ElMeligy/ Egypt “
Reviewed by” Hagar Mohamed Khalil / Egypt ”
MARJ3 Scholarships team