7 August 2019
7 funded doctoral student positions in Human Sciences Doctoral Programme.
University of Oulu is now hiring highly motivated candidates for doctoral student positions in the doctoral programmes of the University of Oulu Graduate School (UniOGS). There are 7 positions available in Human Sciences Doctoral Programme (DP-HS). Successful candidates must commit to researcher training within Human Sciences Doctoral Programme and to completing their degree within four years.
The University of Oulu is an international science university creating new knowledge, well-being and innovations for the future through its multidisciplinary research and education. Close cooperation with various research institutes, companies and the public sector has created an internationally significant research and innovation hub that is changing the world. The University of Oulu has 15,000 students and approximately 3,000 employees.
Opportunity Focus Areas:
Human Sciences Doctoral Programme:
- Educational Sciences
- Business Administration
English or Finnish.
ALL WORLD COUNTRIES.
Four-year period, beginning on 1 January 2020.
- Each doctoral student must have a principal supervisor who commits to the supervision of the student’s doctoral training.Without a supervisor and his/her signed commitment letter, the study rights will not be granted. to know more about the supervision check the link here and get the commitment letter from here.
- The applicant has completed a relevant Master of Science degree, or an equivalent degree giving eligibility for corresponding university studies in the country that issued the degree.
- The above-mentioned degree must have been completed with good grades (at least 60% of maximum grade, or 3/5, in both taught studies and the Master’s thesis)
- If the applicant has a Master’s degree in a relevant field from a University of Applied Sciences, either from Finland or abroad, the prerequisites for admission and the capabilities for successful doctoral training will be examined case-by-case, dependent upon the applicant and the major subject. In this case, the applicant’s grades must be excellent (at least 80 % of the maximum score for both the taught studies and the thesis).
- Depending on the applicant’s academic background and experience, the granting the doctoral study rights may also require complementary university-level studies, or “bridging studies”, up to a maximum of 60 ECTS credits, which must be completed with good grades (at least 60% of the maximum score).
- Any applicant who have received their doctoral study rights 6.8.2017, or before, are ineligible to apply.
- All applicants must possess sufficient language skills sufficient to follow doctoral studies. The teaching languages at the University of Oulu are Finnish and English. All applicants, who have not completed a secondary or higher education degree in the Finnish language, must demonstrate that they possess sufficient English and/or Finnish language skills with one of the following options:
- Bachelor or Master degree taught in English;
- 20 ECTS credits of studies conducted in English in a higher education institution in Finland;
- Certificate of English language proficiency by Finnish NBE (skill levels 5 in reading, writing, listening & speaking);
- TOEFL score (minimum 580 PBT / 92 IBT);
- IELTS score (minimum 6.5, with a minimum of 5.5 in each section; Academic module only);
- Pearson Test of English (minimum 62, with minimum of 52 in writing section; PTE Academic only);
- Cambridge ESOL’s Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE), or of Advanced English (CAE) (grades A, B or C);
- Statements of skills from the proposed principal supervisor and one independent scientist (anglophone or equivalent language skills) at Oulu University, based on interview.
For more information about the admission requirements check the link here.
- The salary is roughly 2200 – 2700 € per month for an early stage researcher, In addition, a supplementary remuneration is given for personal achievement and performance (max. 50 %).
First Step: You have to apply on the online system through here.
Second Step: Submit your application in English through the online system by 7 August 2019. Please include the following attachments as five separate pdf files (please note that the online system has a maximum size limit for attachments):
- CV: Including a list of all peer-reviewed scientific publications with full reference details.
- Motivation letter: Describing prior knowledge, research interests and career plan (max 1 page).
- Certificates/Diplomas: Scanned electronic copies of diplomas and transcripts of the records of relevant previous degrees. If the original documents are not in Finnish, Swedish or English, each document must be accompanied by an official certified translation into Finnish or English.
- Research plan approved by the supervisor: Please follow the structure given in the guidelines of the Academy of Finland from here.However, for the current purpose, the texts under the given section headings need not cover all bullet points in the guidelines, and the maximum length of the (draft) plan’s body of text must not exceed 3 pages with 10-12 point font size and with at least 1,5 cm margins. A fourth page can be used for the list of references only. Thus, the max total length of the plan including the references is 4 pages. Exceeding the page limit will either result in disqualification or removal of the extra pages from the document.
- Letter of provisional commitment from the supervisor (max 1 page): Thisis a brief letter (with date and signature) where an eligible supervisor (either a professor or a docent level researcher who is employed by the University of Oulu) states his/her willingness to act as the supervisor for the applicant. The commitment letter must clearly indicate the University of Oulu’s Research unit, to which the supervisor is affiliated.
Know more about this opportunity:
To learn how to write CV, Essays, Personal statement, and know about recommendation letters click here:
Marj3 recommended links
This Scholarship Published by:
” Hesham Galal / Egypt “
Reviewed by “ Basem Eliwa / Egypt ”
MARJ3 Scholarships team