17 May 2020
The United Arab Emirates
Al Qasimi Foundation’s Doctoral Research Grants- Al Qasimi Foundation
The Al Qasimi Foundation’s Doctoral Research Grants encourage scholars from a wide range of disciplines and professional fields to undertake research toward informing policy making in the United Arab Emirates. The Grants are open to PhD. Students from all nationalities studying at an accredited university in the United Arab Emirates or abroad.
Doctoral Research Grants financially support PhD. candidates in the research phase of their dissertations. Currently, two awards are available each year for applied research projects that have Ras Al Khaimah as a primary site for data gathering and analysis.
Opportunity Focus Areas:
- Public policy
- Art & Culture
- Social science
- Urban planning
- Community development
- Public health
- Economic development
- Food science
- Environmental science
- social work
- Coastal & Marine Systems (special call)
Please note: The following research areas do not qualify for Doctoral Research Grants because they are not considered policy-related: business or marketing, agronomy, engineering, IT or computer science, laboratory-based or scientific studies, and medical degrees.
ALL WORLD COUNTRIES.
- Review generally takes 6-8 weeks based on the volume of submissions received. Applicants should receive an update on the status of their proposal by the middle or end of July 2020.
- Applicant must be a current PhD. student at an accredited university in good academic standing.
- Applicant must have a minimum TOEFL score of 600 or IELTS score of 6.5 if English is a secondary language.
- Applicant must have all PhD. coursework completed and be ready to conduct the field research component of his/her dissertation.
- Applicant must have a research proposal that is approved (or is in the process of being approved) by the applicant’s advisor and graduate program. The approved proposal should include a literature review and significant detail on research methodology.
- The proposed research must have Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval from the applicant’s home institution.
- The proposed research must focus on the United Arab Emirates, and specifically the emirate of Ras Al Khaimah. If the research proposal includes other locations, Ras Al Khaimah must be a significant focus for data gathering and analysis.
- Proposed research must address education, public policy, or closely related social science issue or question. Relevant topics (dependent on the research question) may include areas such as education, urban planning/development, public health, economic development, food access, and energy or environmental policy.
The Grant covers all student expenses associated with their field research in the United Arab Emirates, including:
- Return airfares.
- Furnished accommodation for up to 12 months.
- Stipend to cover living costs.
- Research support.
Recipients are expected to produce one to two working papers as part of the Grant and make at least one presentation to the local research community.
First Step: Please review the grant handbook, as it contains important information for applicants and recipients.
Second Step: you must create account on Al Qasimi Foundation website from here.
Third Step: After create your account you will need to complete the online application form below and send all required documents:
- 2020 Doctoral Research Grant online application form in the link below.
- Two-page essay in the form of a cover letter outlining reasons why the applicant is interested in a Doctoral Research Grant. The letter should address (1) prior experiences, coursework, and skills relevant to the proposed field research; (2) how the proposed research aligns with the Al Qasimi Foundation’s mission; (3) what the applicant hopes to gain from the field research experience; and (4) how the field research experience fits into the applicant’s long-term academic and professional goals.
- CV or resume outlining educational background, research experience, and publications, work experience, honors and awards, and co-curricular activities.
- Current official transcript of applicant’s doctoral program (and official transcripts for all completed degrees).
- Official copy of a TOEFL or IELTS scores report (only necessary for applicants for whom English is a second language).
- Copy of the approved research proposal or preliminary proposal. Please indicate specific budgetary, facilities, special equipment, or other resource needs required to conduct the proposed research. The proposal should also include information on potential dates and duration of the field research component in Ras Al Khaimah.
- Official documentation of IRB approval for the proposed research from the applicant’s home institution (or plans for gaining if not available at the time of application)
- Two letters of reference that address the suitability of the candidate. One letter must be from the applicant’s doctoral advisor and the other should be from another academic. Both letters must indicate the length of time, extent, and nature of the recommending party’s relationship with the applicant.
Note: Questions regarding Doctoral Research Grants, the application process, or status of a submission may be sent to email@example.com.
Know more about this opportunity:
To learn how to write CV, Essays, Personal statement, and know about recommendation letters click here:
Marj3 recommended links
This Scholarship Published by:
“Demiana Melad/ Egypt“
Reviewed by” Hager Darwish/ Egypt ”
MARJ3 Scholarships Team