October 11, 2018
Freigeist’ Fellowships – the Volkswagen Foundation.
The ‘Freigeist’ initiative offers freedom for creative thinking, whilst at the same time providing security for at least 5 years and in the long run the opportunity to establish a career within a scientific research organization or university in Germany.
- The initiative focuses on early-career researchers from all disciplines. The aim of the Foundation is to facilitate the implementation of extraordinary research projects and to make a substantial contribution to the establishment of dependable career paths for the upcoming generation of researchers. Since 2014, ten to fifteen Freigeist fellows have been selected each year.
- Anyone can apply who identifies with the goals of a ‘Freigeist’ Fellowship and whose proposed research project fits in with the aims pursued by the Freigeist initiative. Candidates
Specializations for studying on this opportunity:
All disciplines are available including:
- Social Sciences
- Natural and Engineering Sciences
ALL WORLD COUNTRIES
up to 5 (+3) years or 6 (+2) years
- PhD degree no longer than four years prior to submission.
- The Fellowship must be integrated within a university or an extra-mural research institution in Germany.
- Candidates must already have changed their academic environment and moved to a new location.
- A previously completed research sojourn abroad, at the latest integrated in the proposed research project.
- type of funding: own position (head of junior research group)
depending on the nature of the project, up to 2.2 million euro for two funding phases up to 5 (+3) years or 6 (+2) years
- additional benefits: funding for communication of science and research; special family related benefits; additional funding for refugee scholars and scientists; training programs
First Step: Create a new account on the site.
Second Step: Fill the online application in English only.
(Applicants must complete the forms posted in the Electronic Application System, providing details on the applicant, the recipient of funds
(future host institution),title, project time schedule)
(binding declaration. There is also a form for the budget that has to be completed online)
Third Step: Upload The following documents as attachments (pdf-files; in English unless otherwise specified) :
- Signature Sheet signed by the applicant (after completion of all forms posted in the Electronic).
- Cover letter including Self-Assessment: “Why Freigeist?“ (max. two pages).
- Summary of the project in German (max. one page).
- Summary of the project in English (max. one page).
- Illustrative and creative presentation of the project in layman’s terms, e.g. video, podcast,newspaper article etc. (max. 2 minutes/1 page).
(Advice: Please use CryptShare if you would like to submit a video or podcast. Please make sure to upload a PDF within the section “Newspaper Article” additionally (text “Video/Podcast sent by cryptshare”), otherwise the system blocks your submission).
- Project proposal (in sum not more than 15 pages, 12 pt, 1.5 lines) containing:
Reasons for choosing the host institution and description of research infrastructure
Details of cooperation partners
Information, if this or a similar application has been or will be sent to other funding organizations
Schematic working plan and time schedule
List of references/bibliography
Justification of budget (explanation for costs applied for) including host institution’s contribution
Where applicable, quotations for equipment costing more than 10,000 Euro (one pdf-file if possible)
CV (including date of thesis defense or doctoral viva) and list of publications
Copy of doctoral degree award/PhD certificate
Binding declaration on the part of the host institution (English if possible)
- Optionally: up to three publications/manuscripts authored by the applicant (as separate PDF files).
Kindly refer to online application instructions
Know more about this opportunity:
To learn how to write CV, Essays, Personal statement, and know about recommendation letters click here:
Marj3 recommended links
This Scholarship Published by:
” Asmaa amer /Egypt “
Reviewed by “Mohamed Elsherbeny/ Egypt“
And “Salma Merhabi/ Lebanon”
MARJ3 Scholarships team