30 June 2020
Bonn, Nordhein- Westfalen, Germany
GIZ-SAIS Investment Readiness Programme 2020
SAIS is looking for innovative start-ups that are about to scale rapidly and apply digital solutions to the agriculture and food sector which enable their users to improve their income. In addition, digital products or services that help mitigate the impact of COVID-19 are a plus and will be taken into special consideration.
Scaling Digital Agriculture Innovations through Start-ups (SAIS) is a project implemented by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). Their goal is to support African start-ups in scaling their digital innovations; these innovations should enable users in the agriculture or food sector to increase their income.
The COVID-19 pandemic is the black swan of 2020. It has major impacts on start-up development and venture capital investments in Africa, as well as globally. At the same time, in times of social or physical distancing it is also a window of opportunity to leapfrog digital business models and solutions for various economic sectors, including the agriculture and food sector. GIZ-SAIS will have a special consideration for African start-ups that develop digital innovations for the agriculture and food sector that also manage the risks and harness the opportunities of the current crisis.
- Business Model: The start-up should have an easily understandable and very convincing business model (clear problem statement, clear digital solution, clear customer segment and clear revenues stream).
- Customer data: The start-up should have access to customer data via its digital solution (number of customers and gender); if this is not the case, building customer databases will be one of the first development measures if the start-up is selected for the IRP.
- Level of innovation: Innovative and disruptive solutions will be regarded as an asset. Solutions that help mitigate the impact of Covid-19 will be taken into special consideration.
Opportunity Focus Areas:
EGYPT, LIBYA, TUNISIA, MOROCCO, ALGERIA SUDAN, SOMALIA, DJIBOUTI, MAURITANIA, COMOROS & OTHER COUNTRIES ARE FROM SUB- SUHARAN AFRICA
- The program will start in 30 June, 2020 and end in 30 September, 2020
- The virtual pitch event will be held in July 2020, during calendar week 31 (July 27- 31, 2020).
- Invitations to the pitch event including your time slot will be sent out by July 20, 2020.
- The most promising startups selected in the wake of the virtual pitch will be invited to the virtual kick-off event of the GIZ-SAIS Investment Readiness Programme, which will be held from 30 September to 2 October 2020. This year, the kick-off will be held back to back with the SA Innovation Summit. Please make sure that you are available at that time.
- A demo-day with investors and business partners will conclude the program in July 2021.
- The start-up must be registered and operating in at least one African country.
- The start-up must have a team of at least two people.
- The management team must be highly motivated and work at the business ideally full-time time.
- The start-up needs to have a viable digital product with a clear positive impact on its users’ income.
- The product must be aligned with one of the digital technologies listed below:
- Precision farming
- Digital storytelling
- Digital payment
- Access to finance
- Access to market
- Animal and crops health
- Food delivery
- Supply chain management
- Logistic and transport
- Soil fertility
- Data analysis
- Big data
- Data security
- Data protection
- Open data
- Building digital expertise for
- Big data analysis systems
- Internet of things
- Virtual /augmented reality
- Apps programs
- Web platforms
- Social media
- Controlling systems
- Artificial intelligence (AI)
- GIS (Geo-Information Systems)/Mapping
- Information-management Systems (IMS)
- Digital learning software (e Learning system, MOOC platforms, open educational resources)
- Precision farming (chipcards,sensors, drones/ remote sensing system)
- The start-up must have launched its digital product at least six months ago and provide evidence of good traction as well as existing processes that need to be performed.
Selected start-ups will participate in a nine-month Investment Readiness Programme fully funded by GIZ-SAIS and The program includes:
- Weekly advisory and coaching sessions held virtually during which strategies and measures for rapid growth, product improvement, business and management operations, innovation and scaling are developed and implemented with the start-ups.
- Access to additional service providers to optimize certain segments of the start-up (e.g. legal, marketing, coding, etc.).
- Integration of the selected start-ups in one of our partner hubs in their home country in order to facilitate their visibility and contact with relevant actors in the local start-up scene.
Depending on the COVID-19 situation over the course of 2020/21, the mid-term check and the demo-day will possibly have to be shifted into online events.
First Step: Sign up the official site.
Second Step: Fill the online application and mention all information about your Company, team, product, market and additional information.
Third Step: upload a short pitch video (max. 2 minutes) via an unlisted (i.e. hidden to the public) YouTube link.
- The video should clearly convey the problem you are addressing and how your digital product helps to solve it. Please make sure that your pitch video follows the following structure: Problem you are tackling, digital technology you are applying, current number of customers and examples of positive impact on their income, outlook for growth and expectation from the SAIS programme. Please provide all requested information in order to ensure your inclusion in the selection process.
Know more about this opportunity:
To learn how to write CV, Essays, Personal statement, and know about recommendation letters click here:
Marj3 recommended links
This Scholarship Published by:
“Arwa Osama/ Egypt“
Reviewed by” Mohammed Sayed/ Egypt ”
MARJ3 Scholarships Team