First step: Register in the DAAD portal (Read notes about registering in the portal >>)
The form, which has to be completed by a referee, has to be generated in the DAAD portal in the section “Request reference” after registration and downloaded. Please send the form by e-mail to your referee and ask for the completed reference form to be returned to you in a sealed envelope. In each case, please provide your referee with the application address thus enabling him/her to send the recommendation letter there direct.
- Please note that the form for completion by a referee can only be generated during the application period (from about 6 weeks before the application deadline).
- Please generate one form for each referee.
- The reference is confidential and may not be viewed by the applicant!
Second step: Applying online in the DAAD portal (Read notes on applying in the portal >>)
- Download and complete the online application form
- Prepare application documents
- If necessary, translate documents (unless they are already in German or English).
- Scan paper documents (except references) and save in PDF format. Please note that you can only upload PDF files to the portal.
- Upload the completed application form and the other application documents to the portal in PDF format. Translations, if applicable, should be uploaded together with the document issued in the original language.
Third step: Submit the uploaded application documents online.
Fourth step: Sending application documents by post
References must be sent in the unopened envelope to the application location.
- Information for applicants from non-EU countries:
Please remember to specify the exact contents of your postal consignment in the documents for the customs authorities, e.g. “Application for a scholarship with application documents, a reference and a DVD with work samples (no commercial goods, no merchandise value, no insurable value)”.
Note: Application procedure can change from country to another.