December 3, 2018.
The University of Birmingham, United Kingdom.
IAS Vanguard Fellowships Programme
This programme aims to attract outstanding early and mid-career researchers from global leading institutions, operating at the cutting edge of their disciplines, to work collaboratively with colleagues at the University of Birmingham.
Colleagues will focus on new and existing areas – topics that are timely, relevant, address national and international priorities, and cross disciplinary boundaries.
Promoting different and new ways of thinking about problems lies at the heart of the IAS mission. Diversity of thought comes in part from diversity of experiences and cultures.
A high proportion of recent nominations for IAS Vanguard Fellowships have been white male candidates. In the coming round, we challenge colleagues to nominate people in the early stages of their independent careers from a more diverse range of backgrounds, and particularly welcome the nomination of women and people from minority ethnic groups as visiting fellows to share knowledge and establish long-term collaborations.
Opportunity Focus Areas:
Arts and Law.
Medical and Dental Sciences.
Life and Environmental Sciences.
Engineering and Physical Sciences.
- Liberal Arts and Natural Sciences.
ALL WORLD COUNTRIES.
Fellows are expected to spend a period between 4 and 8 weeks on campus.
Applications will be assessed against the following criteria:
- Academic excellence and standing against career stage of the proposed Vanguard Fellow;
Please note that we seek early/mid-career researchers would normally be within 15 years of achieving their PhD, who hold a research post in academia, industry, charity, arts or other organizations, which are equivalent to academic post of Lecturer or above, or who hold an individual Principal Investigator Fellowship.
- The extent to which the visit has the potential to enhance existing collaborative research or pump prime new areas.
- Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
The IAS will:
- arrange the appropriate invitation and visa for non EEA visitors;
- arrange and cover costs of the Fellow traveling to Birmingham from their home institution;
- arrange and cover the cost of self-catering accommodation in the city center;
- provide a desk and computer in the IAS Suite, Aston Webb;
- organize access to Library and IT services;
- provide a fund against which research expenses for the visit may be claimed. The funds will be agreed between the proposer and the IAS Deputy Director at the point of approval, to allow support for the research proposal, workshops and public events;
- support networking through meetings and events across the University;
- organize and support public events and workshops agreed with the dissemination plan;
- work with the fellow and host to plan implementation of the objectives and dissemination plan.
First Step: Proposals should be sent to ([email protected]) Please do not provide costings with this proposal – these will be done by IAS.
Proposal: Provide a case for support of up to 500 words from the internal sponsor to:
- demonstrate fit to the aims of the programme;
- indicate likely outcomes from the collaboration, together with a dissemination plan with specifics that will be delivered during the visit (e.g. seminar, workshop, public lecture) and subsequently (e.g. publications, new research projects) which will demonstrate the value of the visit to the academic community and external stakeholders and organisations;
- if relevant, an outline of research costs associated with the visit;
- Short CV of applicant;
- Confirmation from the applicant that if IAS were to offer a Fellowship they would accept, together with an indication of the ideal dates of a visit.
Know more about this opportunity:
To learn how to write CV, Essays, Personal statement, and know about recommendation letters click here:
Marj3 recommended links
This Scholarship Published by:
” Alyaa Abdelraouf/ Egypt “
Reviewed by” Rehab Ali/ Egypt ”
MARJ3 Scholarships team