30 June 2019
The Centre for Human Rights, University of Pretoria now offers an LLM/MPhil (Sexual & Reproductive Rights in Africa) degree.
This two-year programme is offered as a blended learning course comprising of online interaction and residential block-weeks in Pretoria. Two contact sessions will be scheduled every year (four contact sessions over a period of two years).
The LLM/MPhil (Sexual & Reproductive Rights in Africa) aims to secure the following goals:
- to equip the learner with knowledge and understanding of sexual and reproductive health and rights from domestic, regional and global international perspectives
- to equip the learner with research skills in sexual and reproductive health and rights
- to equip the learner with advocacy skills for promoting sexual and reproductive health and rights
- to equip the learner with practical skills for securing the realization of sexual and reproductive health and rights
- grooming of leaders with a capacity to influence the social transformation of societies
- raising of public awareness about sexual and reproductive health and rights
- increasing the public understanding of sexual and reproductive health and rights
- enhancing the capacity of groups, networks or organisations that promote sexual and reproductive health and rights and related rights, including the rights of women and sexual minorities
- advancing the reproductive and sexual health and rights of individuals and communities
- combating discrimination and stigma surrounding sexual and reproductive health and rights
- influencing interventions in sexual and reproductive health and rights national and regional levels
- influencing policy-making in sexual and reproductive health and rights at the national and regional levels
Opportunity Focus Areas:
- Sexual & Reproductive Rights.
ALL AFRICAN COUNTRIES.
Course duration: January 2020 – December 2021.
- The Master’s Degree (LLM/MPhil) in Sexual and Reproductive Rights Africa is open for all African citizens.
- For the LLM degree
- An LLB or equivalent qualification required for entrance into the legal profession.
- For the MPhil degree
- At least an honors degree in an academic discipline relevant to sexual and reproductive rights in African; or any other qualification in an academic discipline relevant to sexual and reproductive rights in African that allows for admission to a master’s programme at the institution where the undergraduate qualification was obtained. If that qualification has a duration of less than four (4) years, substantial proven practical or professional experience in sexual and reproductive rights in Africa, subject to the discretion of the Dean, is further required.
- Applicants must have excellent academic credentials and demonstrate human rights experience or interest.
- Applicants must be in possession of a first degree in Law (LLB, licence en droit or licenciatura em direito) or an Honours degree relevant to Sexual and reproductive rights.
- The cost for the program is $10 000 USD.
- It covers cost of program and tuition fees.
- This won’t cover the cost of visa application to South Africa.
- In addition to registration fees, students have to finance their travel and accommodation during the block weeks, which are compulsory to attend. (A total of five block weeks are scheduled over two years)
- 2020 cost estimation for class registering in 2020 (first year of study)
– Southern African students – R 18 000
– Non-Southern African students – R31 000
- 2021 cost for class registering in 2021 (second year of study)
– Southern African students – R 26 000
– Non-Southern African students – R36 000
First Step: create an account on the official website here.
Second Step: complete the application form with the following documents which will be requested during your application:
- Previous academic records/transcripts.
- Previous degree certificate(s).
- Copy of bio-data page of passport.
- A good quality photograph of yourself.
Know more about this opportunity:
To learn how to write CV, Essays, Personal statement, and know about recommendation letters click here:
Marj3 recommended links
This Scholarship Published by:
” Eman Morsy \ Egypt “
Reviewed by “ Mustafa Abdelshafy / Egypt ”
MARJ3 Scholarships team