21 March 2019.
Paid Traineeships at the EU Delegation to Egypt
The Delegation of the EU to Egypt offers paid traineeships to young graduates with a university diploma and less than one year of professional experience.
Objectives of traineeships:
- To provide trainees with a unique experience about the daily work of an EU Delegation while learning about the representation of the EU interests and values outside of the EU.
- To offer trainees the possibility of discovering directly the multicultural, multilingual and multi-ethnic working environment of a Delegation.
- To offer trainees the possibility of applying the knowledge acquired during their studies or their early professional life.
- To create a group of young people with direct experience in the work of the EU outside of its borders and who could become future collaborators of the EEAS or other EU Institutions.
Traineeships are offered under four different pillars:
- Funded traineeship for young graduates with less than one year of professional experience.
- Unfunded compulsory traineeship for students already residing and studying in the host country.
- Traineeship for students of national administration schools of Member States.
- Traineeship for trainee civil servants of an administration in a Member State as part of their compulsory professional training.
Main functions and duties:
1- Traineeship in the field of Foreign Affairs:
- Monitoring and providing written reports on the latest regional and international affairs concerning Egypt and the League of Arab States.
- Researching and composing in-depth political analysis of important foreign policy issues pertaining to Egypt.
- Assisting in preparation of high-level visits from EU Headquarters, including input to briefings and agenda.
- Communicating with partners and participating in conferences to broaden knowledge and understanding of key issues.
- Organising, partaking in, and producing minutes of meetings regarding foreign affairs at the EU Delegation.
- Strong background in political science and/or international relations, or a very strong proven capacity for one of those above mentioned fields.
- Preferably specific knowledge of Egypt’s current domestic, regional, and foreign policy issues
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of Arabic would be an advantage in widening the scope of the tasks assigned to the intern.
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently to produce insightful and timely reports.
- Good interpersonal skills to be able to build and maintain contacts with relevant partners.
2- Traineeship in the field of Human Rights:
- Assisting in monitoring developments in the field human rights and democracy in Egypt, including information management, preparation of written reports, notetaking in meetings and drafting of minutes, participating/reporting on various seminars and conferences.
- Assisting preparation of high-level visits from the EU headquarters, including input to briefings and agenda.
- Excellent background in political science and/or international relations, or a very strong proven specialised capacity for one of those above mentioned fields.
- Preferably specific knowledge of Egypt’s current domestic, regional, and foreign policy issues.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of Arabic is required in the field of Press and Information. In the other two areas, knowledge of Arabic would be an advantage in widening the scope of the tasks assigned to the intern.
3- Traineeship in the field of Press and Information:
- Assisting in preparation of press and information and public diplomacy events.
- Updating the Delegation’s website and social media platforms.
- Assisting in writing press statements, in addition to press reports on specific issues related to how the EU and the activities of its Delegation are portrayed in the media.
4- Trade section:
- Compiling statistical data.
- Macro analysis, as part of economic reports.
- Preparing materials for periodical economic and trade reports.
- Assisting in meetings and taking minutes.
- Participation in workshops and conferences.
- Monitoring developments in trade and investment.
- General understanding of international trade and economics.
- Eagerness to learn, motivation to work in a team, attention to detail.
- Fluency in English, Knowledge of Arabic would definitely be an advantage.
- Legal or economic background would be an advantage.
- Writing of the daily security reviews.
- Writing of the monthly analytical report.
- Preparation and assistance for security meetings.
- Assisting organizing high level visits.
- Understanding of security risks in Egypt and Middle East.
- Fluency in English, Knowledge of Arabic and/or French would definitely be an advantage.
Opportunity Focus Areas:
- Political (Foreign Affairs).
- Political (Press and Information).
- Political (Human Rights).
ALL WORLD COUNTRIES.
21 March – to start begining of April for Foreign Policy,Trade and Security.
15 May – to start begining of July For P&I.
15 June – to start begining of August for Human Rights.
Eligibility Requirements (Criteria)
Eligibility Requirements (Criteria)
- Traineeship is available for EU citizens, citizens from candidate countries that have concluded EU accession negotiations and nationals of the host country.
- For funded traineeships, applicants must have graduated from a university or equivalent higher-education establishment with at least a Bachelor’s level.
- For unfunded compulsory traineeships, applicants shall be 3rd ,4th or 5th year students of a University or another higher-education establishment.
- You have no previous professional experience in the EU Institutions (longer than 6 weeks).
- candidates must have the capacity to speak in the working language of the EU Delegation.
- Knowledge of the official language of the host country would be an asset.
Applications will not be accepted from candidates who have already benefited from any kind of training (paid or unpaid) or employment for more than 6 weeks within an EU institution, body, agency or office.
- Monthly grant: selected trainees will receive a monthly grant of 600€.
(providing that the required budget is allocated)
- Visa: trainees are responsible for obtaining and covering the cost of necessary visa.
- Travel: trainees have to arrange and finance their travel to the EU Delegation in Egypt.
- Accommodation: the trainee will have to cover the accommodation costs.
How to Apply
How to Apply
First Step: Please send:
- Detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- A cover letter describing why you want to participate in an EU traineeship.
- An application form. To the trainee coordinator at email@example.com
If selected for a traineeship, you will need to provide the following documents:
- Language certificates.
- Passport/ID card.
- Extract from the “judicial record”.
- Insurance certificate.
- Medical certificate.
- Signed traineeship agreement.
- Before applying you are requested to examine the general eligibility criteria* for traineeships.(Article 8 of the Decision ADMIN(2017)28 – Paid traineeship for young graduates).
- Each selected trainee will receive a monthly grant to cover living expenses. However costs related to travel, insurance, accommodation and visa must be borne by the trainee.
- Applications from non-eligible candidates will not be considered.
- candidates will not be considered. After the evaluation of all applications, shortlisted candidates will be contacted and invited for an interview.
- Unsuccessful candidates will be notified by email.
- In case the selected candidate is not able to present the required documents, his/her candidacy will be rejected.
Know more about this opportunity:
Marj3 recommended links
Marj3 recommended links
To learn how to write CV, Essays, Personal statement, and know about recommendation letters click here:
This Scholarship Published by:
” Aya El-sherbeny/ Egypt “
Reviewed by” Soueilem Mohamed Lemine / Mauritania ”
MARJ3 Scholarships team