The deadline for an online application is September 15, 2018.
The letters of recommendation can be submitted until September 20, 2018.
(Partially Funded/ Paid Opportunity)
Annual Call to IMPRS-ESM
Outstanding young scientists with strong interest in climate research, especially in the study and the modeling of the Earth system are encouraged to apply.
Our annual Call is aiming at students holding a Master’s degree (with written thesis) in physics, geophysical sciences (incl. meteorology and oceanography), chemistry, ecology, mathematics, computer science, engineering, economics, or political science. Also students currently working on their MSc thesis are encouraged to apply.
Up to 10 doctoral positions are available starting March 2019. Individual starting agreements will be made with successful candidates. For each position funding of approximately EUR 1,650 monthly net payment (duration up to 3 years) is available through a doctoral contract. This amount is sufficient to cover all basic living expenses.
Opportunity Focus Areas:
- Geophysical Sciences.
- Computer Science.
- Political Science.
ALL WORLD COUNTRIES.
Up to 3 years.
- Outstanding young scientists with strong interest in climate research, especially in the study and the modeling of the Earth system are encouraged to apply.
- Apllicant must have A first class or upper second class MSc Honours degree (or national equivalent, e.g. a German ‘Diplom’ with a grade of at least ‘good’) is required for access to the IMPRS-ESM PhD programme.
- Apllicant must have strong interest in mathematical modeling and a good background in mathematics and programming are very important.
- The academic standard, the Executive Committee will carefully consider the applicant’s Letter of Motivation, reference letters, as well as his/her knowledge of the English language.
- Candidate’s field of interest in combination with the availability of potential research supervisors and collaborating institutions are assessed.
(Partially Funded/ Paid Opportunity)
For each position funding of approximately EUR 1,650 monthly net payment is available through a doctoral contract. This amount is sufficient to cover all basic living expenses.
First Step:Preparation of the required documents and certificates
For your complete application, the following documents are required from you:
- Letter of Motivation.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV).
- Documents related to your Master’s degree:
- title page of your thesis and an abstract;
- copy of MSc certificate;
- copy of MSc transcript (a list of all courses/lectures you took).
- Documents related to your Bachelor’s degree:
- copy of BSc certificate;
- copy of BSc transcript (a list of all courses/lectures you took.
- Proof of English skills, if possible.
- 2 Reference Letters.
Second Step: Arrange these documents into two pdf files
1. The file ‘application documents.pdf’ should contain (in the following order):
- Letter of Motivation.
- MSc transcript.
- BSc transcript.
2. The file ‘complementing information.pdf’ should contain (in the following order):
- The title page and abstract of your MSc thesis;
- Your MSc certificate (in case not yet available, please include instead an informal note which announces the expected date of completion of your MSc);
- Your BSc certificate;
- If applicable: any additional documents related to your application such as e.g. publications, job references, certificates of workshop, etc.
Third Step: Online registration (possible from 1 July – 15 September 2018)
During the online registration you will need to complete our registration form and upload the required application files (the two pdf files you prepared before).
It is suggested that you look at the questionnaire and study all solicited entries before starting to fill it in. Most answers are straight forward and short. However, some points need further elaboration. Perhaps you wish to first prepare more detailed answers off-line using a word processor and then copy/paste text blocks directly into the online form.
Upon successful registration an automated e-mail will be sent to you containing your 6-digit ‘Registration ID’. Please state this ID for any correspondence with IMPRS-ESM as well as in the IMPRS-ESM reference sheet.
Fourth Step: Arrange for two reference letters
To complete your application, two reference letters are required (using the IMPRS-ESM template reference sheet). Download from the website the template reference sheet and the letter to referees in which it is explained their reference request.
Add your registration ID and name to the template reference sheet and forward both template and letter to your chosen referees (preferably your former advisors) and ask to directly e-mail her/his recommendation to the IMPRS-ESM office:
Attn. Dr. Antje Weitz (Ms.) e-mail [email protected].
– we will consider those references only that are using our standardized reference sheet;
– both reference letters have to be sent to us directly by the referees via e-mail from their official work account. Reference letters sent from private accounts as, e.g., gmail or yahoo or by yourself cannot be accepted;
– your application can only be processed AFTER we have received the two reference letters.
Advice for your ‘Letter of Motivation’ (to be written in English language):
We recommend that you prepare this document very carefully as this is a crucial criterion in the selection process! Apart from a brief, general introduction of yourself and your academic interests you should elaborate on:
- your motivation for aiming to do PhD research.
- your reasons for choosing IMPRS-ESM in Hamburg for your advanced studies.
- the research topic(s) in which you are interested.
Language of your academic documents:
Application documents that are neither in German nor English must be accompanied by a translation into one of these two languages (please note that the ‘Letter of Motivation’ must be written in English). In the first stage of application to the IMPRS-ESM, unofficial translations serve well. However, upon admission to our doctoral program and for registration as PhD candidate at the University of Hamburg officially certified translations are required.
Know more about this opportunity:
To learn how to write CV, Essays, Personal statement, and know about recommendation letters click here:
Marj3 recommended links
This Scholarship Published by:
” Alyaa Abdelraouf/ Egypt “
Reviewed by” Chahineze Hakki/ Algeria ”
MARJ3 Scholarships team