10 November, 2019
The University of Queensland, Australia
Near infrared spectroscopic monitoring of tissue engineered cartilage growth in a smart bioreactor – PhD scholarship
This PhD project will focus on adapting near infrared spectroscopy for direct optical monitoring of the structure and composition of developing cartilage neotissue in a novel bioreactor system.
The project will require the student to develop experimental protocols for integration of optical probe and analysis of neotissue spectral data under the supervision of an experienced senior researcher. The successful candidate will benefit from excellent mentorship and opportunities for international collaboration.
Opportunity Focus Areas:
- Agriculture and environment
- Architecture and Planning
- Computer Science
- Health and behavioral sciences
- Science and Mathematics
ALL WORLD COUNTRIES.
with the possibility of two 6-month extensions in approved circumstances.
- Candidates should have a background in biomedical engineering, medical physics or similar field
- Demonstration of research ability through publication output in peer reviewed international journals is desirable
- A bachelor’s degree with honors from approved universities, which includes a relevant research component; or
- A research master’s degree; or
- A coursework master’s degree and an overall GPA (grade point average) equivalent to 5.65 on the 7-point UQ scale, which includes a relevant research component; or
- A postgraduate degree of at least one year full-time equivalent with an overall GPA (grade point average) equivalent to 5.0 on the 7-point UQ scale, together with demonstrated research experience equivalent to honours IIA will be considered for PhD entry on a case by case basis; or
- A bachelor’s degree plus at least two years of documented relevant research experience, including research publications.
- Applicants with overseas qualifications should refer to the GPA equivalency table.
- English language proficiency requirements apply.
For more detailed information about eligibility requirements for each course, please visit
$28,092 per annum (2020 rate), tax free, indexed annually.
- tuition fees
- living expenses
- other costs.
First Step: Fill the online application (There is no separate application for scholarship because you will be given the opportunity to request scholarship consideration on the application for admission).
You need to fill:
- Citizenship and Residency
- Permanent and and mailing address
- Permission to release information (optional for all students.)
- Previous / Current Students and Staff
- select ‘I am applying for, or have been awarded a scholarship or sponsorship’
- enter in the free-text field ‘NIRS1’
- list the enrolling unit as the School of Information Technology & Electrical Engineering
- enter Professor Juha Töyräs as your supervisor
Second Step: Prepare your documentation (The following documents are required to support your application)
- Academic CV
- Academic transcript for all post-secondary study undertaken( NB: academic transcripts can also be referred to as an academic record, a diploma supplement, a statement of learning, a record of achievement )
- Award certificates/teamsters for all completed post-secondary study. (NB: this is a legal document, and imprinted with the university seal).
- Evidence for meeting UQ’s English language proficiency requirements (which must be valid at commencement date)
- A copy of your Passport.
- Contact details from two referees who can best comment on your prior research experience. UQ will contact your referees directly for a report, but you will need to enter their details into the application form.
Please upload all documents as PDF files, not Word documents and use the naming convention – LAST-NAME_firstname_document-name.
Third Step: Other documentation, originals or certified copies, may be required depending on your individual circumstances, for example:
- A scholarship offer or financial guarantee, if you have already been successful for scholarship or sponsorship
- Evidence of change of name
- Proof of citizenship, if you are not a citizen of Australia or New Zealand by birth
- Prior higher degree by research program details – if a completed program, please provide a transcript and award certificate; if an incomplete program, provide a transcript.
Know more about this opportunity:
To learn how to write CV, Essays, Personal statement, and know about recommendation letters click here:
Marj3 recommended links
This Scholarship Published by:
” Merna Esmail / Egypt “
Reviewed by” Rahaf Elkhodary/ Egypt ”
MARJ3 Scholarships team