30 September, 2019
Ogham Tree Competitions
We’re looking for highly taut, compressed poetry in very short form of no more than 60 words and a maximum of 15 lines. How you interpret each character/tree/meaning/month is entirely up to you — let your imagination and instinct guide you.
Although we know the Ogham alphabet was developed in Ireland over 1,700 years ago, we’re indebted to the poet, Robert Graves, for popularising its connections with Druids and the cycles of the year.For our competition, chosen 12 ogham characters, to take us through a whole year, together with their associated trees and commonly held meanings.
Opportunity Focus Areas:
Writing poetry , Choose from 12 ogham characters:
1) BIRCH (B) — New beginnings.
2) ROWAN (L) — Guardianship.
3) ALDER (F) — Looking to the future.
4) WILLOW (S) — The moon, its rhythms and tides.
5) ASH (N) — Linking worlds: communication.
6) HAWTHORN (H) — Transformation: enchantment and change.
7) OAK (D) — Strength, courage and resilience.
8) HOLLY (T) — Challenge and energy.
9) HAZEL (C) — Intuition, insight and wisdom.
10) APPLE (Q) — Healing and regeneration.
11) IVY (G) — Persistence, fortitude.
12) ELDER (R) — Endings and the beginnings they become.
ALL WORLD COUNTRIES.
6–8 weeks After the deadline
- Results will be sent individually to all winners and runners up and published on the Cinnamon website within 6–8 weeks of the competition’s closing date.
- All entries must be previously unpublished.
- Please include your name and a contact email with each submission.
- Entries must be sent online using the online form.Include all of your submitted pieces in a single file, clearly indicating which Ogham tree(s)/letter(s) each piece is inspired by. All submitted work should be in .docx, .doc, or .rtf file formats.
- Payments can be made using PayPal from each individual competition page.
- Work will not be returned, so please keep a copy.
- We regret we are unable to offer feedback on individual submissions.
- Singled entries are £4.
- 4 entries: £10.
- 12 entries: £24.
- Publication in a special, limited pamphlet based around the Ogham tree alphabet.
First Step : Submit 1 or 4 or 12 entries. If you’d like to send more entries, please continue in a new transaction.
Second Step : Enter your personal information and your submission details.
Third Step: Then pay by PayPal of bank transfer.
Know more about this opportunity:
To learn how to write CV, Essays, Personal statement, and know about recommendation letters click here:
Marj3 recommended links
This Scholarship Published by:
” Waleed Ashraf/ Egypt “
Reviewed by” Chahineze Hakki/ Algeria ”
MARJ3 Scholarships team