Applications are due January 15, 2019.
The United States.
The Terra Foundation for American Art-Terra Foundation Research Travel Grants to the United States
Terra Foundation Research Travel Grants provide support for research on topics concerning American Art and Visual Culture prior to 1980. These grants enable scholars outside the United States to consult resources and visit collections within the United States.
Grant funding is available for short-term travel that gives scholars:
- An opportunity to discover new source material;
- Experience works of art first-hand in museums and private collections;
- Make contact with artists, art dealers, archivists, curators, university scholars, etc.;
- Consult local archives and library collections;
- Establish professional networks for future research.
Opportunity Focus Areas:
- American Art and Visual Culture prior to 1980.
EGYPT, SYRIA, IRAQ, PALESTINE, JORDAN, LEBANON, TUNISIA, ALGERIA, MOROCCO, SUDAN, LIBYA, SAUDI ARABIA, EMIRATES, KUWAIT, QATAR, BAHRAIN, OMAN, YEMEN, SOMALIA, DJIBOUTI, MAURITANIA, TURKEY, IRAN, CYPRUS, COMOROS, & OTHER COUNTRIES THAT ARE NOT FROM THE MIDDLE EAST AND NORTH AFRICA.
Applications are due January 15, 2019.
Awards will be announced in April 2019.
The foundation only accepts proposals from doctoral students, postdoctoral scholars, and senior scholars outside the United States.
- Travel should be undertaken within one calendar year (June through May) after the announcement of the selection results in April.
- Final report must be submitted within three months of completion of travel. It should include a description of the travel undertaken as a result of the grant, an assessment of the research accomplished, and a financial report detailing grant expenditures.
- Recipients must acknowledge the support of the Terra Foundation in any publication that results from research conducted during the grant.
- Travel may not take place prior to notification of the grant award.
- This program does not require a letter of inquiry.
Up to 20 grants are awarded annually (up to five of them are specifically dedicated to scholars from Asia, Africa, and Latin America) as follows:
- Up to $7,000 per grant for doctoral students from Asia, Africa, and Latin America;
- Up to $9,000 per grant for all postdoctoral and senior scholars.
Grant funds will be disbursed in two installments. The first installment (80% of the total grant) is paid before the recipient’s departure to the United States. The second installment (up to 20% of the total grant) is paid to the recipient after receipt of the final report.
Funds can be used for related transportation, lodging, meals, and research fees and expenses of the Grantee only (not of family, travel companions, etc). They cannot be used for the purchase of computers or other equipment.
The Terra Foundation for American Art accepts grant applications submitted through an online system.
First Step: Create a new user account on the application website.
Second Step: Fill the needed information by the application form, attached with the following documents:
- Two letters of recommendation;
- Project proposal that demonstrates the need for travel to the United States;
- Curriculum vitae;
- Detailed description of the proposed itinerary with destinations and travel dates;
- Itemized travel budget;
- A copy or scan of a government issued picture ID (driver’s license, passport, etc.).
Completed proposal forms and all attachments should be written in English.
Please note that the two letters of recommendation must be signed and scanned. They must be e-mailed directly by their
authors to the Terra Foundation for American Art Europe: for Research Travel grants, please send letters to:
Know more about this opportunity:
To learn how to write CV, Essays, Personal statement, and know about recommendation letters click here:
Marj3 recommended links
This Scholarship Published by:
” Mariem Memmi / Tunisia “
Reviewed by” Salma Aittaleb/ Morocco and Alyaa Abdelraouf/ Egypt”
MARJ3 Scholarships team