3 February 2020 at 3:00 pm JST (*Japan Standard Time=UTC+9:00)
UTokyo Amgen Scholars Program 2020
The Amgen Scholars Program provides hundreds of undergraduates each year with the opportunity to undertake scientific research projects at many of the world’s leading institutions.
The objective of the program is to provide undergraduate students from different countries (including some from Japan) who are committed to or who are considering a career in biology or related sciences and looking to continue to graduate studies, with eight weeks of biomedical research experience in the basic and translational sciences. By the end of their summer experience, students are expected to acquire knowledge and skills for conducting research. The students are also expected to extend their international friendship through collaborative experiences. These experiences will help the students to develop future collaborations in many situations
Opportunity Focus Areas:
- Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Industrial Science
- Agricultural and Life Sciences
ALL WORLD COUNTRIES.
- UTokyo Amgen Scholars 2020 in Japan (19 June, 2020 – 3 August, 2020)
- Amgen Scholars Asian Symposium in Singapore (6 August 2020- 8 August 2020)
- UTokyo Amgen Scholars Program applicants must be undergraduate students who are:
- Enrolled in colleges or universities worldwide that award a bachelor’s degree (or its equivalent).
- At the minimum, have completed their first year of undergraduate study at the time the summer program begins.
- Are not graduating before the summer program begins, and after the summer program ends will resume undergraduate studies for at least 1 semester or 1 quarter.
- Have a strong record of academic performance.
- Have good working knowledge of English, demonstrated by a minimum TOEFL (iBT) score of 72, IELTS overall band score of 5.5, Cambridge English FCE, TOEIC score of 1095, TOEIC L&R score of 785, or TOEIC S&W score of 310, if not a native English speaker or English is not your first language.
- Have an interest in pursuing a Ph.D.
- To devote full effort in participation in the Amgen Scholars Program. Scholars cannot take any courses or hold a job throughout the duration of the program. In addition, all participants must be able to attend the program for its entire duration.
- To live in the accommodation provided by UTokyo.
- To participate fully in the day-to-day life of the research group, respect the work of all members of the laboratory, and attend and participate in laboratory meetings or other gatherings.
- To attend the orientation on June 9, all required conferences, activities and social events.
- To give a poster/presentation describing his/her summer research project.
- To submit a research paper to the UTokyo Amgen Scholars Program Director at the conclusion of the program.
- ROOM: Near-campus accommodation
- STIPEND: The stipend should be used freely to budget for food and any personal trips during your stay in Japan and so on.
- TRAVEL COSTS: Economy-class airline tickets for flights, or round-trip train tickets for domestic students, will be provided to participate in the program and the Amgen Scholars Asia Symposium to be held in Singapore. The most economical and direct route and travel schedule will be stipulated based on the discussion between participants and the program office. If the schedule is changed for personal reasons of the participant, they will be required to repay the University of Tokyo the cost of the originally booked flights.
First Step: Before applying prepare your documents:
1. Portrait photo
Please upload your portrait photo saved as a jpeg file. Note that your full face should be visible in the photo, and it should be taken from the front with your eyes open (Same rules as photos for a passport, 45 x 35mm).
2. Scanned copy of Passport or ID card
Please scan the page with the photo and name of your passport or ID card such as student ID or national ID and save as a jpeg file.
3. Resume/CV and Cover letter
Download and complete the designated form Resume_CV_Coverletter_UTokyoASP2020.docx. Please save your documents as a Word file (e.g. .doc/docx).
4. Academic Transcript
Please obtain an official academic transcript (in English) and scan and save both the front and back pages as a PDF file.
Download and complete the designated form Questionnaire_UTokyoASP2020.xlsx . Please save your documents as an Excel file (e.g. .xls/xlsx).
6. Proof of your English proficiency
- Non-native speakers whose institutions are located in an area where English is not the first language and the medium of education is not English must submit a valid proficiency test score listed on Eligibility above.
- Non-native speakers whose institutions are located in an area where English is not the first language but the medium of education is English are required to submit a valid proficiency test score listed on Eligibility above, or a letter specifying that you are taking your education in English issued by your university.
- non-native English speakers who have been receiving undergraduate education from an institution located in an area where English is the first language and whose language of instruction is English are not required to submit test scores or letters.
7. Letter of Reference
- You are required to nominate two people to provide letters of reference, one of who must be a faculty member at your current institution who is familiar with your educational background, academic performance, and motivation for attending the 2020 Program.
- It should be on a departmental/university letterhead, including the referee’s signature.
- It should then be scanned and submitted as a PDF file.
- Note that the Letter of Reference must state your Applicant Number, which appears under your photo when you create your T-cens SP account.
8. Privacy Statement and Agreement
Please download and carefully read the “Privacy Statement”, sign the agreement on the statement and submit it by uploading through T-cens SP. Please be aware that applicants cannot apply for the program without this signed document.
Second Step: Create a New Account and get your application number.
Third Step: Fill out all the application and upload files.Be sure that the file size of each document does not exceed 2MB.
Know more about this opportunity:
To learn how to write CV, Essays, Personal statement, and know about recommendation letters click here:
Marj3 recommended links
This Scholarship Published by:
” Ahmed Tarek/ Egypt “
Reviewed by” Gehad Salem/ Egypt ”
MARJ3 Scholarships team