The first attempts to create a higher educational institution of the power engineering specialization in Kazan were in 1930. The Kazan Power Engineering Institute (KPEI) was opened then and was situated on the Street Komleva, 6. A. Ganeev was the first Director of the Institute. 110 people were admitted in the first selection. Training was carried out on two specialties: “Industrial power engineering” and “Central power station”. KPEI worked only for five academic semesters and was already closed in the year 1933. Nevertheless, the institution managed to produce a few graduates.
In 2013 was reorganized Faculty of Machine Construction; the Institute of Economics and Social Technologies was renamed into Institute of Economics and Information Technology. The construction of two training grounds on the territory of KSPEU began. Preparing for the opening of the Innovation Centre “Energy saving and Energy Efficiency”, the training ground with the boiler equipment of LLC “Bosch – Thermotechnika”. The Power Engineering University is celebrating its 45th anniversary.