30 October 2018
Architecture Ideas Competition
This is a single stage ideas competition with the aim of identifying the best proposal for a Creative Exhibition Center in Wellington, the capital of New Zealand.
This competition is open to all students and professionals of areas related to architecture. Multidisciplinary teams are encouraged. We invite you to create innovative solutions to tackle the challenges presented. The winning design will demonstrate a high degree of expression and creativity in fulfilling the program requirements, in accordance with the specific design guidelines presented.
This is an ideas competition, therefore all submitted projects should be for a concept design. All proposals will be reviewed by an international jury. Winners will be decided according to the conceptual merit of the works submitted to the competition. Finally, winning designs will be exhibited in Wellington and published through our Media Partner, ArchitectureNow.
The site of this competition is the Band Rotunda which is located at the heart of Oriental Parade, one of the most beautiful and popular streets in Wellington. The area of the site is about 530 m2 with a semi-circular shape projecting into Wellington Harbour.
A bathing pavilion was built on the site in the nineteenth century. A second floor was subsequently added to the original art-deco structure in the late twentieth century which until recently accommodated a restaurant. After an earthquake in 2016, a crack in the foundation of the building indicated that the added floor was too heavy for the original design. City councillors and planners question whether we should bring the building back to its original design, or if we would be better off to create a new structure that expresses the spirit of our time. Creative and innovative proposals both the design of the new structure and for the use of the site are encouraged in this competition.
Specializations for applying on this opportunity:
- Built environment
- Civil engineering
ALL WORLD COUNTRIES
- This Architecture Ideas Competition is open to students and young professionals (under 40) in areas related to architecture.
- No professional qualification is required.
- Design proposals can be developed individually or by teams (4 team members maximum).
- We also encourage and support the registration of architecture teaching institutions as this competition provides a realistic, compelling and challenging task for students.
First Step: Fill the registration form here and get your ID number and pay the registration fees
Second Step: Submit the required documents to [email protected] by 5 pm 30 October 2018
- Participants are required to submit two A1 portrait-orientated presentation boards (must not exceed 5mb per jpg or pdf) with sketches, renderings, plans, sections, elevations, diagrams, and/or other presentation tools to explain their proposal.
- All information provided in writing must be in English.
- Presentation boards must not include or indicate any information related to the individual’s/team’s identity.
- All proposals must be submitted before 30 October 2018
RECOMMENDED SUBMISSION CONTENT
- A 3D view from the harbour to illustrate the impact of the proposal on the cityscape
- Concept designs which comply the design brief and the regulation of site.
- Drawings which demonstrate the design features and spatial qualities of the building as well as operational needs and accessibility requirements.
- A demonstration of project tectonics and functionality.
For any questions please contact us on [email protected]
Know more about this opportunity:
To learn how to write CV, Essays, Personal statement, and know about recommendation letters click here:
Marj3 recommended links
This Scholarship Published by:
” Mohammed Djalil Baaziz / Algeria “
Reviewed by” Amany Alngar/ Egypt”
MARJ3 Scholarships team