15 February 2019
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
UNESCO/Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom Prize 2019
UNESCO established the World Press Freedom Prize in honor of Guillermo Cano, a Colombian journalist who died in the exercise of his profession. The purpose of the UNESCO/Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom Prize is to reward each year a person, organization or institution that has made a notable contribution to the defense and/or promotion of press freedom anywhere in the world, especially if risks have been involved. The objective of the Prize is in conformity with UNESCO’s policies and is related to the program of the Organization in the field of communication and information and, more specifically, to the priority given to promoting an enabling environment for freedom of expression and freedom of information.
UNESCO is the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization. It seeks to build peace through international cooperation in Education, the Sciences and Culture. UNESCO’s programmes contribute to the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals defined in Agenda 2030, adopted by the UN General Assembly in 2015.
Opportunity Focus Areas:
ALL WORLD COUNTRIES.
World Press Freedom Day 2019 will take place in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, on 3 May 2019.
- Candidates shall have made a significant contribution to press freedom anywhere in the world representing all types of media including digital media. Prizes may be conferred upon individuals, institutions, other entities or non-governmental organizations.
- winner is presented with the sum of US$25,000.
Nominations for the Prize should be submitted by filling out the form in English or French and attach :
- A high resolution and copyright free photograph of the candidate
- A description of the candidate’s background and achievements
- the candidate’s contributions of major importance to the promotion of freedom of the press, submitted to the Jury for consideration
- a definition of the candidate’s contribution to the Prize’s objectives
Send by E-mail to :[email protected]
or by Mail :
Communication and Information Sector
Division of Freedom of Expression and Media Development
Section for Freedom of Expression
7 Place de Fontenoy
Know more about this opportunity:
To learn how to write CV, Essays, Personal statement, and know about recommendation letters click here:
Marj3 recommended links
This Scholarship Published by:
” Amari Assam/ Algeria “
Reviewed by” Amr Habib/ Egypt ”
MARJ3 Scholarships team