26 April 2019
Stage 1: Online
Stage 2: Online/ USA
The Final Event: USA
The Bell Labs Prize – Nokia
The Bell Labs Prize is a competition for innovators from participating countries around the globe that seeks to recognize proposals that ‘change the game’ in the field of information and communications technologies , and provides selected innovators the unique opportunity to collaborate with Bell Labs researchers to help realize their vision.
The competition aims to provide a unique opportunity for innovators to change the world with big ideas, following in the great tradition of Bell Labs. By taking part in the competition, you will gain visibility to a high-profile audience of researchers, innovators, entrepreneurs, media and partners. You will also receive support from Nokia and Bell Labs, one of the most advanced telecommunications companies and industrial research organizations in the world.
Opportunity Focus Areas:
- Web Applications
- Cloud Services
- Information Theory
- Coding Theory
- Computational Sciences
- Distributed Systems
- Data Privacy
- Mathematics of Networks
- Modulation Schemes
- Optical Systems or Components
- Communications Systems
- Collaboration Systems
- Network Protocols
- Network Architecture
- RF design
- Fixed Network technologies
- Software-Defined Networks
- Virtualization Technologies
- Real-time Analytics
- Search algorithms
- Self-Optimizing Networks
- Inference systems
- Artificial Intelligence
- Machine Learning
For more information about The Bell Labs Prize here
EGYPT, MOROCCO, QATAR, & OTHER COUNTRIES ARE NOT FROM THE MIDDLE EAST AND NORTH AFRICA.
4 December 2019: Winners will be announced at the Bell Labs prize awards event.
- This prize is open to all eligible applicants who register and submit proposals in the general areas of information and communications technologies.
- You must be a citizen of one of these countries.
- You must be aged 21 or over at the time of registration on the website.
- You must possess a bachelors, masters or doctoral degree from an accredited university or institution of higher learning.
- Teams of up to four people are allowed to participate.
- Employees and applicants for employment are not eligible to participate in the Contest, but interns are.
For more information about Bell Labs Prize Rules here
- First prize: $100K + matching $100K for the winner’s university.
- Second prize: $50K.
- Third prize: $25K.
- There is no registration fee.
- Nokia Bell Labs will cover all the travel and living costs during the visit in stage 2 and the final event.
First Step: Stage One:
- You need to register, and submit your initial idea through the application form.
- You can submit multiple applications, but you will have to register with a different email address for each new application.
- Teams of up to four people are allowed to participate. Each member of the team should register individually. Then a designated team lead will log into the Bell Labs Prize Site and select option, “Invite Team Members”.
- You will be requested to formulate an idea (max 250 words) related to the field of information and communications technologies. You will have the option to attach 3 pages of text and/or images to illustrate your concept. In the submission form there is a list of categories related to communications technologies. Please select the one that best matches your idea. The list is not restrictive and you are free to indicate a different category. Please see all details here.
Second Step: Stage Two:
- The ideas will be evaluated and finalists selected for Stage 2 will develop their ideas and convert them into a robust proposal in conjunction with Bell Labs Research Partners (BLRP). Please see all details here.
- Ideas will be evaluated by Bell Labs researchers based on the following 3 criteria: Innovation, Technical Excellence and Feasibility.
- All stage 2 candidates will be invited to a Bell Labs location to meet their BLRP and visit our facility.
Third Step: Announcement of winners:
- Ten finalists will then be invited to a Nokia corporate location to present their proposals in front of the Bell Labs Judging Panel.
- The finalists will be evaluated on their business impact.
- Three winners will be selected and will receive their awards.
- All three winners will also be considered for the unique opportunity to work within the world-renowned Bell Labs to further explore their ideas, following the end of the competition.
Know more about this opportunity:
To learn how to write CV, Essays, Personal statement, and know about recommendation letters click here:
Marj3 recommended links
This Scholarship Published by:
” Aya El-sherbeny/ Egypt “
Reviewed by” Doha Elamin/ Egypt ”
MARJ3 Scholarships team