Sunday 26 August, 2018
Sawiris Cultural Awards 2018
Sawiris Foundation for Social Development is pleased to announce its call for applications for the 14th edition of Sawiris Cultural Award 2018, in the fields of novels, short stories, screenplays, play-writings and literary critique.
Believing in the power of art and culture in positively contributing to society, the Sawiris Cultural Awards Competition was established in 2005 to recognize excellence in the literary works of Egyptian emerging and established writers in the fields of novels and short stories. Over the past 13 years, the competition has grown to include more genres such as screenplays to support the development and growth of the Egyptian film industry, and playwriting to help playwrights get their work into the theatre world. This is in addition to the best literature critique work; which was added recently in 2013.
The competition goes through a lengthy process that starts in mid-June and ends in January. The winning submissions are selected by an independent judging committee consisting of well-known writers and literary experts. The winners are announced in a big ceremony held at the Cairo Opera House in January of each year.
Specializations for studying on this opportunity:
Starts in mid-June and ends in January
- Applicants must be Egyptians.
- Submissions must be in the Arabic language
- Entries mustn’t have been awarded before.
- Only one submission per applicant/per branch is accepted.
- Age of young writers must be less than 40
- Playwriting submissions mustn’t be professionally presented on stage.
- Entry screenplays and playwritings must be attached with a five-page synopsis highlighting the drama main theme.
- Entries can be accepted from individual writers, cultural agencies, universities and scientific organizations.
- The Award Secretariat receives the participating works from Sunday, 15/7/2018 to Sunday, 26 August 2018, before 10 am to 2.30 pm except on Fridays and Saturdays,
- The Foundation is not obliged to reproduce the copies submitted
- The work is evaluated by impartial committees composed of leading critics, writers, filmmakers, dramatists and drama teachers. During the month of December 2018, the creative youth who receive the short list in each branch of the Youth Award will be highlighted in the media. The final results of the competition will be announced in January 2019.
Best Novels & Collections of Short Stories
FIRST BRANCH – ESTABLISHED WRITERS
LE150,000 for the best novel
LE150,000 for the best collection of short stories
SECOND BRANCH – EMERGING WRITERS
LE 80,000 for the best novel
LE 80,000 for the best collection of short stories
LE 50,000 for the best novel
LE 50,000 for the best collection of short stories
FIRST BRANCH – ESTABLISHED SCREENWRITERS
SECOND BRANCH – EMERGING SCREENWRITERS
First prize – LE 150,000
Second prize – LE 80,000
Best Literature Critique
First step: 6 paper copies and pdf copies of the special work of any of the branches of the prize (fiction, storytelling, discussions) or works in the field of literary criticism. Attached is a photocopy of the applicant’s national ID card and the author’s cv to the following address: 10 El Diwan St., Garden City, 1st Floor, Flat No. 3
Know more about this opportunity:
To learn how to write CV, Essays, Personal statement, and know about recommendation letters click here:
Marj3 recommended links
This Scholarship Published by:
” Moustafa Ashraf /Egypt “
Reviewed by” Hager Ashour/ Egypt”
MARJ3 Scholarships team