31 May 2019.
Wilbur Smith Author of Tomorrow
The Author of Tomorrow is designed to find the adventure writers of the future. Part of the Wilbur Smith Adventure Writing Prize, it is an annual competition open to young people, aged 21 and under, who have completed a short piece of adventure writing in English.
The award is run in partnership with Worldreader, a charity on a mission to make everyone a reader. the Author of Tomorrow plays its part in improving global literacy levels.
Opportunity Focus Areas:
- Writing in English.
ALL WORLD COUNTRIES.
Open for submissions: 4th March – 31st May 2019
Shortlist announced: 16th July 2019
Winner announced: 12th September 2019
Young writers must enter the competition within the following three age categories:
- Category 1: Writers in age between 16-21 years must submit a short adventure story between 1500-5000 words in length.
- Category 2: Writers in age between 12-15 years must submit a short adventure story between 1500-5000 words in length.
- Category 3: Writers in age 11 and under years must submit a short adventure story up to 500 words in length.
- The competition is open to writers of any nationality writing in English.
- You may submit multiple works. Each entry must be submitted separately and will be considered a separate entry.
- Entries must be submitted digitally, as a Microsoft Word .doc, .docx or a .pdf file.
- There must be no reference to the author’s name or personal details in the manuscript.
- If your entry is shortlisted it will be published by our partners at Worldreader and used to improve global literacy levels
The stories need to be best fit the guidelines for what an adventure by:
- Takes the reader on an epic journey, exploring new horizons – be they historical or geographical.
- Explores the themes of courage, endurance and resourcefulness.
- Allows readers to connect with a different reality or culture.
- Prize of Writers in age between 16-21 years: £1,000.
- Prize of Writers in age between 12-15 years: £100 plus £150 in book tokens for their school, library or charity of choice.
- Prize of Writers in age 11 and under: £100 plus £150 in book tokens for their school, library or charity of choice.
- Digital publication for the stories of three categorizes via Worldreader.
- These ten young shortlisted writers will get to work with an editor before having their work digitally published in an anthology available in Worldreader’s open library and used to improve global literacy levels.
- They will also receive a certificate to celebrate their achievement.
First Step: Create your account.
Second Step: Choose your category.
Third Step: Writers must send their stories via the submit link.
Fourth Step: Fill the submission form and upload your story as as a Microsoft Word .doc, .docx or a .pdf file.
Know more about this opportunity:
To learn how to write CV, Essays, Personal statement, and know about recommendation letters click here:
Marj3 recommended links
This Scholarship Published by:
“Salma Abd El Aziz/ Egypt “
Reviewed by” Samira Shehta / Head’s Country ”
MARJ3 Scholarships team