Prize Question 2020: ‘What can science achieve during pandemics?’
The Austrian Academy of Sciences (OeAW) is Austria’s largest non-university research and science institution. Its statutory mission is to “promote science in every way”.
Founded in 1847 as a learned society, today the OeAW has over 760 members and 1,800 employees dedicated to innovative basic research, interdisciplinary exchange of knowledge and the dissemination of new insights with the aim of contributing to progress in science and society as a whole.
The worldwide spread of Covid-19 has had drastic social and economic consequences. Scientists have taken on an important role through their actions (and lack of action) in politics and society. As a result the relationship between science and politics may well have attained a new dimension, leading to the formation of mutual dependencies and power relations. During the phase when the virus was spreading rapidly scientists in many countries exercised a decisive influence on the actions of governments, which leads to the question whether more energetic action at an early stage could have prevented the situation from escalating.
What can science achieve during pandemics? The ÖAW is looking for essays that aim to find an answer to this question. The best answers will be awarded a cash prize up to € 12,000!
Opportunity Focus Areas:
- Biology, Biomedical Sciences, Human Medicine, Medicine & Health, Natural Sciences & Mathematics
- Not Specified
- 18 - 24, 25 - 35, 36 - 60
- Algeria, Bahrain, Comoros, Cyprus, Djibouti, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey, UAE, Yemen
- Required Languages
- Other Requirements
How To Apply
Sign in to be able to see how to apply
Sign in to your account
- Created by
- Fayza Eid/ Egypt
- Published by
- Meray Maher/ Egypt
- Reviewed by
- Farah Sameh/Egypt
- Opportunity Type
- Competitions, Contests, Awards, Prizes, Non-Degree Opportunities
- Funding Type
- Program Period
- From 1 month to 6 months
- Entries must be submitted by 31 December 2020, 01:00 hrs (CET). In case of a submission by post, the date of the postmark will apply.